- The Macroeconomic Effects of Government Asset Purchases: Evidence from Postwar US Housing Credit Policy (updated November 2017), joint with Andrew Fieldhouse and Morten Ravn. Also available as NBER Working Paper 23154.
- A Narrative Analysis of Mortgage Asset Purchases by Federal Agencies (updated July 2017), joint with Andrew Fieldhouse. Also available as NBER Working Paper 23165.
- Marginal Tax Rates and Income: New Time Series Evidence (updated August 2017), joint with Jose Montiel-Olea. Also available as NBER Working Paper 19171.
- Credit Channels in a Liquidity Trap (March 2011 version), joint with Morten Ravn, also available as CEPR Discussion Paper 8332.
- Regime Switching Interest Rates and Fluctuations in Emerging Markets (December 2010 version), joint with Bertrand Gruss, Matlab Programs, Data.
- The Role of Expectations in Sudden Stops (CAE working paper #07-10).
- Fiscal Policy in an Expectations Driven Liquidity Trap, with Morten Ravn, Review of Economic Studies, Vol. 81 (4) , 2014, Matlab Programs.
- A Reconciliation of SVAR and Narrative Estimates of Tax Multipliers , with Morten Ravn, Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol 68, 2014, Data, Matlab Programs, Web Appendix.
- The Dynamic Effects of Personal and Corporate Income Tax Changes in the United States, with Morten Ravn, American Economic Review, Vol. 103 (4) June 2013, Web Appendix, Matlab Programs.
- Empirical Evidence on the Aggregate Effects of Anticipated and Unanticipated U.S. Tax Policy Shocks. , joint with Morten Ravn, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy Vol. 4:2, May 2012, Earlier versions available as NBER Working Paper 16289, CEPR Discussion Paper 7370, NBB Working Paper 181.
- Leverage and the Financial Accelerator in a Liquidity Trap, joint with Morten Ravn, American Economic Review P&P, Vol. 101:3, May 2011.
- Technology-Hours Redux: Tax Changes and the Measurement of Technology Shocks 2011, NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2010, joint with Morten Ravn, Data.
- The Research Agenda: Karel Mertens and Morten Ravn on Fiscal Policy, Anticipation Effects, Expectations and Crisis, Economic Dynamics Newsletter 12:2, April 2011.
- Understanding the Aggregate Effects of Anticipated and Unanticipated Tax Policy Shocks, joint with Morten Ravn, Review of Economic Dynamics, Volume 14:1, January 2011, Web Appendix, Data and Matlab Programs.
- Measuring the Impact of Fiscal Policy in the Face of Anticipation: a Structural VAR Approach, with Morten Ravn, The Economic Journal, Volume 120:544; May 2010, Web Appendix, also available as CEPR Discussion Paper 7423.
- Business Cycle Analysis and VARMA Models, joint with Christian Kascha, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Volume 33:2; February 2009 Programs, Also available as Bank of Norway Working Paper 2008/5.
- Deposit Rate Ceilings and Monetary Transmission in the US, Journal of Monetary Economics, Volume 55:7; October 2008, Data.